Quite often, ladies are compelled to use a feminine wash and feel the need to rinse their private part after urinating. However, overwashing may lead to dry and irritated/ itchy skin.
1. Avoid overwashing; limit to 2- 3 times a day. It is not necessary to rinse after urinating. Rinsing after defecation is encouraged.
2. If you have skin issues, you should use a moisturizing wash instead of a feminine wash.
3. Avoid using hot water. Lukewarm or cold water is advisable.
4. Avoid douching, i.e. spraying water up your vagina.
5. Avoid wearing panty liners all the time.
6. Avoid wearing tight underpants. Choose white cotton underpants if you have skin issues.
7. Avoid shaving or waxing if you have skin issues.
8. Avoid using wet wipes, instead use toilet or tissue papers only.
If you still experience irritated skin despite all the measures you have tried, please seek help from a qualified dermatologist who has a specialist interest in vulva dermatology.
Gleneagles Medical Centre
6 Napier Road, #06-01
Mon, Tues, Thurs & Fri (8:30AM – 5:30PM)
Wed & Sat (8:30AM – 12:30PM)
T: +65 6254 6646
F: +65 6259 9853